May 27, 2010

Holy F*ck at the Paradiso

I was looking for what concerts to check out before I leave to the states, and this was one of the ones that popped up. It was a late night show on a wednesday, I figured I wouldn't be able to get anyone else to come. Oh well, c'est la vie, and went on checking concerts out. Then there was Holy F*ck again in Pittsburgh days before I was going to be there, this couldn't be a coincidence, I was going to miss them when they were in america, and I had my chance. I called up a friend and we went to one of the best shows I've ever been to.

They play electronic music but only through analogue means, which means no computers and instead a slew of mini keyboards, pedals, chords and even a film synchronizer (which I had never even heard of before this band). All these things give the band a manic feel as they play through their set, pieces of the puzzle which is their set get switched in and out both physically and in the music, seemingly based on the mood swings of the musicians more than the structure of the song. A madness that is somehow tamed by these two men and their plethora of audio devices. Even though it's the accompanying drums and bass that are really keeping the band together, the epic (and sometimes eclectic) sweeping (and at other times jarring) electronic sounds are what drive the songs towards their eventual heights and catch the audiences fascination. Many of the crowd who were originally dancing around wildly fell into more of a lull of movement as they let the music and lights hypnotise them into the wildness of Holy F*ck.

Which brings us to another point, whoever was doing the lights at the Paradiso is a genius. He managed to fit the lights perfectly to the swinging moods of the band, at one moment erratic flashing green lights, turn into billowing purple cones rolling over the crowd, and then reverse into red lights moving five times as fast. Each switch perfectly fitting the music, and I believe this on top of the amazing and entertaining show from Holy F*ck, was what pushed this concert to the best I have ever seen. Kudos to you lights man.

P.S. Holy F*ck's third album is out entitled Latin, it is also great stuff. Check them out.
http://www.myspace.com/holyfuck
 http://www.amazon.com/LP-Holy-Fuck/dp/B000W1V3PS
http://www.amazon.com/Latin-Holy-Fuck/dp/B003E1QCGI/ref=pd_bxgy_m_img_b

No comments:

Post a Comment